“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.”
Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bow Down to the Queen


In a matter of weeks, we, the class of 2013, will move adventurously on toward the future leaving the names we have made for ourselves at Chagrin Falls behind. Some of us anxiously wait for the moment when we can throw our embarrassing titles out the window (for the record, I passed my driver’s test on the first try… flawlessly); some of us deservingly hold on to the auspicious titles given to us by our classmates (Blythe- we all hate you. YOU KNOW WHY).  For me, I find that I have made several names for myself during my years here, both good and bad. Life of the Party: awarded by classmates, frowned upon by Ms. Serensky. Worst Driver: one time. One time I hit Andrew Osgood. One time. Token Asian: the Chinese take over America? *hint hint* Totally a real thing. Dshannon: self-explanatory (for those who do not see the explanation in itself: I kill slave owners with a German dentist in my spare time).These names have given me a run for my money, but I stand ready to move on and show my true colors. We all have labels, whether we like it or not; however, as we move forward, college provides us with plenty of papers on which we may signature a new name. Mine? Queen of the Nerds. Who needs to party with Greek Row when a perfectly good marathon of The Lord of the Rings coaxes you to stay in your cozy 10-by-10 dorm all weekend? Truly, I have a flare for the supernatural, an obsession with magic, an addiction to re-reading the Harry Potter series, and an unhealthy craving to win a national LARPing tournament. As college stands as the opportune moment to spread my wings and fly, I plan to join the Squirrel Watching Club along with a plethora of other unusual clubs to establish my dominant presence on campus. I want my future classmates to view me this way because I have hidden this side of myself for far too long and I fear that if I keep it down any longer, I will face unfortunate victimization under the Dissociative Identity Disorder. Perhaps I will cheer up my stressed classmates with a Spock sign as they walk to class as I often feel that a simple solute to my home planet will put a smile on anyone’s face. I firmly consider the obviously truth that showing your true self to others will draw them toward you. I also hope that this new name will encourage me to study harder and work more diligently in academics as I may finally get the compliment of “you work TOO hard.” I believe that those habits will happily juxtapose those of my current status as I fail to do most of my homework (excluding English, of course) until the due date. I find myself restless with excitement for the debut of the new and arguably improved Shannon Fung. Just wait until our ten-year reunion when I promise, I shall make my entrance on a glimmering Segway with a robot boyfriend on my arm. 

1 comment:

  1. Shannon I enjoyed reading your blog since you valiantly embraced your nerdy side. Some feel embarrassed by nerdy mannerisms such as reading Harry Potter and watching movie marathons. However, just like you, I plan to embrace some of my geekish qualities during my college experience. For instance, my severe ADD problem where I must get things done as fast as possible as well as my addiction to Netflix and Hulu. Like you said, maybe these quirky attributes will someday pay off...but I do not plan on having a robotic husband.

    ReplyDelete