“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.”
Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Say "Cheese"


I walked into the unfamiliar room to meet the man I only knew through email;
He greeted me with a sly grin as a single bead of sweat ran down his messy brow.
He instructed me to change into my “special outfit” as he slowly sipped his ginger ale.
Nervous, I obeyed. It must happen now.

The man, twice my age, led me to a single chair,
Demonstrating the position in which the light would perfectly catch my face.
I followed his exhibition and faked a smile as he handed me an orange teddy bear.
Lights flashing I knew- my daunting and awkward task I must brace.

Boy, I do hope my senior picture turns out well,
The thought of returning to Ripcho Studios makes me want to yell.


Initially, I found great difficulty in creating an awkward topic to share with my fellow AP English students. Surprising, I know, as some people would call me the most awkward person alive. However, I believe that any of my peers can relate to the discomfort aroused by taking senior pictures. My description of my photographer evokes great anxiety from the audience as I make him sound almost pedophilic: “sly grin” (2). The mysterious diction of “sly” creates unpredictability for his intentions especially as I directly characterize him as “twice my age” (5). As the man stands much older than me, the email conversations suddenly become problematic and totally inappropriate (1). Furthermore, for anyone as addicted to looking at awkward family photos as me, the teddy bear in line eight only heightens the uncomfortable task of posing in odd positions for a yearbook photo. Sitting backwards on a chair stands as one of many distorted and strange poses that my photographer instructed me to do. All in all, I find the whole process of taking pictures uncomfortable for every party present. I say we ditch the cameras and start taking mental images. John Mayer seems to think it a good idea as well. 


Howdy there, Pikachu. How you doin'?

No comments:

Post a Comment