“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.”
Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Destroyed by the Bell


I awake to two sounds every morning: the sound of my mother furiously thundering, “SHANNON,” at the top of her lungs, and the ringing of the tornado sirens that I have somehow managed to sleep through… again. At this point in the school year, checking the time only slows me down because, as usual, the clock reads 7:10 and I have twenty minutes (accounting for ten minutes of travel time) to get ready, eat breakfast, and hop on the racetrack to school. As I peer into my closet, I see emptiness slightly masked by a few scattered hangers grasping the bare shelves of the forgotten wardrobe. I have to sport the torn leggings and mustard-stained flannel yet again. Then, I undergo my typical beauty routine (if I can even call it that): scrub my face half-heartedly, brush my teeth unenthusiastically, and stroke my eyelashes with a single swoop of mascara quite hastily. In the cloud of darkness that shrouds my hallway, I trip over the slippery wall my parents refer to as “stairs” and tumble down into the kitchen where a piece of toast on fire finds its way into my hands. My mother kicks me out of the warm house with no jacket and no concern for the inevitability of me catching the deadly cold in the desolate air of Cleveland, Ohio. I now have ten minutes to get to school in order to make the late bell but alas, I have lost sight of the roads under a heavy covering of glistening snow. “Here goes nothing,” I reassure myself. To set the tone of the following ten minutes, I play my “Crap, I’m Going to be Late” playlist and rev my engine a few times at the neighborhood animals and anyone else who happens to watch me from beyond their drawn curtains to show them that yes, I do mean business. I swerve out of my driveway and immediately hit a patch of black ice as I exit the neighborhood. Suddenly, my head is turning as the car spins round and round, far beyond the left-of-center line. This continues for several seconds and the car begins to flip until a nativity scene stops the force of my five-ton car. Shoot, I hope that does not come back to bite me one day. I reach out of my shattered window to knock three times on the adjacent Pine. Superstition never ceases to take priority in my mind. I carefully back out of the yard making a mental reminder to write them a formal apology during Psychology class. Continuing down Miles Road at a steady 95 miles per hour, I just barely make the stoplight as it fades from a tempting yellow to a dangerous red. As I run through three consecutive stop signs, I see flashes of our nation’s colors in my rearview mirror: the cops. Pfft. Some justice system we have where abiding by the law reigns over getting to school on time. With only five minutes to reach my destination, I make the executive decision to evade the law and continue my merry way through town. Yet, a case of bad timing strikes me again as I see the line into school piling up miles deep. With no time to spare, I drive over the patiently waiting cars in line, careful to throw my trash out the window to reduce the amount of weight crushing my peers. As I approach the front of the line, I spy the source of the traffic jam: a 2001 Toyota transporting an old man with the audacity to block others from turning right on red into the school. I park my car on the decrepit man’s trunk, hop out of my monster truck, and look him straight in the eyes as I say, “time to have your day ruined.” With justice on my mind, I drag my keys across the fresh paint job and take a crow bar to the windshield. Satisfied, I climb back into the car and race at 45 miles per hour above the school zone limit and create my own parking spot directly on the lawn of the outside common area. The policeman, who apparently recruited an army to capture me, surrounds my car; yet, I bounce off of the belly of a donut-loving cop and find myself sticking the landing safely in the foyer. YES! I ARRIVED ON *ding ding ding.* “Late again, Miss Fung. Detention after school,” taunts Mr. Kirk. How sadly anticlimactic.
            

5 comments:

  1. I, too, share this same problem with you, Shannon. I simply cannot find it in me to unwravle from my toasty cacoon in the wee hours of the morning. Although I swear my sister remains the cause of my excessive tardiness, I applaud your efficient use of resources and quick thinking to honor your commitement to a high level education. And do not worry about Mr. Kirk, he can bend at the batting of your quickly mascaraed lashes. Watch out for Ms. E, you probably rolled over her car that morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you and Blythe, I share a similar (figurative) battle arriving to school punctually. It all starts with my two alarms that I sub-consciously dismiss with the oh-so-inviting "snooze" button. My mom then attempts at awaking me from my slumber, but I ignore her efforts by assuring myself through my dream that she did, in fact, tell me that I could sleep in and skip school. After I'm practically forcefully removed from my bed, I perform the routine tasks such as: getting dressed, brushing my teeth and eating my breakfast at a sprint to be in my usual parking spot- located a devastating 150 meters away from the school- at 7:37. Unfortunately, I do not exaggerate this negligent morning routine. All in all, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can say with honesty that your story made me laugh out loud- although partially out of fear, since I have witnessed your road habits and can easily imagine you running over your chronically late peers. Lucky for me I drive in from South Russell, otherwise I would sit right in the line of fire. Like Katie and Blythe I can sympathize with your hasty morning routine, and I can raise you one distraught sister who waits in my car for at least ten minutes until I finally take us to school. Extremely entertaining read, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After just finished reading this, I have mixed reactions: those of humor and those of fear. Upon recently becoming your writing partner, I am starting to think twice about putting your name down on my "Top 3" list...I know one thing for sure: I will not be asking you any questions/messing with you in the morning...But in all seriousness, this writing made me laugh, and I know you needed to write with an extreme factor-which you certainly did. However, one thing I know you did not exaggerate was your declared mph on the way to school. I think everybody can agree, based on your past driving misdemeanors, that this part of your blog holds entire truth...everybody: watch out if she's on the roads.

    ReplyDelete