“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.”
Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

We're All Getting Old

Another book completed, another sun set, another day passed. Sad but true, life comes and goes and as fast-pace as it comes along, we have no control over how much time we get to spend on earth. After the completion of Something Wicked This Way Comes, it has made me reconsider taking advantage of my young life because Bradbury truly unhinges the sadness that individual's face when growing up. While many aspects of the novel encompass childhood innocence, many scenes open my eyes to the realities of life. For example, innocent and naive Jim Nightshade tries to go about life without getting hurt. Unfortunately, Jim's mother breaks the news only to prepare him for inevitable disappointment later down the line: "'You'll live and get hurt'" (41). Through Bradbury's claim that children remain innocent and un-phased of the hardships in young life, I came to realize that no one can go through life unscathed. Why not take risks if I will find myself forced to live the rest of my short life in regret? I have only one thing to say: YOLO (You Only Live Once). Yes, the corny line by contemporary rap artist Drake has fallen victim to the scorn of critics across the globe; however, Bradbury's work opens my eyes to the truth of the statement. Never again will I come across the opportunities that face me today. As written in my last blog entry, I hope to  stop fearing death some day. Knowing that death looms in my future remains a sad truth; yet, I know how to make it work to my advantage. Like Mr. Halloway states, "'death makes everything else sad'" (137). To me, Mr. Halloway's acceptance of aging only encourages me to take death as a gift, not a threat. As crazy and controversial as it may seem, by the end of my lifetime, I pray that I have accomplished everything on my bucket list and I will stand ready to rest with open arms. I will not live with regrets as I have done in the past. As a young adult, I sadly force myself to grow up all too quickly, enabling myself to truly appreciate all that life has to offer. Through Bradbury's juxtaposition of childhood manners, demonstrated through his young and naive characters of  Jim and Will, and adult wisdoms, shown through the wise janitor, Mr. Halloway, I have seen all the advantages that life has to offer at all different stages of growth. While the surface of this novel revolves around a carnival, a deeper exploration shows the internal conflict of characters growing up and growing old and the hardships that come along with those concepts. I applaud Bradbury for effectively capturing the spectrum of emotions that run rampant in these changes of human life. One thing I know for sure, I will live every day for here on out to the fullest. As my favorite musician, Dave Matthews, once sang, "celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet for certain.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment