“A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.”
Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Accepting the Inevitable

Ludwig Börne once said, "Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth." Immortality remains such an illusion that people across the world continually struggle to deny, like in Ray Bradbury's acclaimed fiction fantasy, Something Wicked This Way Comes. In this novel, Mr. Halloway, a library janitor, finds great difficulty in accepting his age as he watches over his thirteen-year-old son, Will. However, throughout the novel, Mr. Halloway learns to deal with growing old and recognizes that nothing lasts forever. Therefore, my favorite passage in the book so far comes when Mr. Halloway comes to the realization that he must lose the illusion of staying young forever in order to live his life fully. As the deceiving mirrors in the Mirror Maze shatter, Mr. Halloway knows he has beaten the trap "All because he accepted everything at last" (260). Through his proud tone, Mr. Halloway claims that no individual can last forever and that growing up comes with its perks as well. I personally, found great appreciation for the old janitor as he "showed his acceptance with sound" (260). As Bradbury indirectly characterizes the man as exuberant, I realize that this passage mirrors how I would like to live my life someday with no regrets. The strength Mr. Halloway holds in accepting his age allows himself to feel comfortable with himself which leads to the ultimate demise of the evils of the carnival. Already, throughout my life I see myself growing older and wish that I can slow down time if only to enjoy the golden age that I currently live in. However, after experiencing the revelation that Mr. Halloway feels, I now know that no matter my age, I can always feel at home with myself. I feel while Something Wicked This Way Comes stands as a liberating tale of good and evil, it also embodies the internal conflict of childhood and adulthood. While all those say that our childhood years remain the best of our lives, this passage gives me reassurance that good things come at all ages. While Mr. Halloway may no longer be young enough to run around with Jim and Will, he has knowledge in wisdom that come hand-in-hand with his years of age. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you think Bradbury pinpoints as main purposes in his story: good versus evil, and childhood versus adulthood. I also agree that Mr. Halloway stands as an excellent example and a positive reenforcement that many good things will come at an older age. Before reading this book, I had already felt this way but Mr. Halloway as an example certainly reassures my initial feeling.

    ReplyDelete